History and Legacy
Established in 1880, the North Carolina Beta Chapter of Phi Delta Theta has consistently been one of the top three of four fraternities on campus for the last 60 years. The house, built in 1930, has set the standard for academic, athletic and social excellence for over 120 years. With the recent Capital Campaign, which raised more than one million dollars from over 430 alumni, the house went under renovations that have placed it among the nicest, if not the nicest, house on the Carolina campus. In addition to these renovations, the brothers of Phi Delta Theta have recently raised $666,000 to endow the Matthew Mason Professorship in the College of Arts and Sciences in honor or Matthew Mason who was an important part of the house for over 40 years and a beloved member of the Phi Delta Theta family. The State of North Carolina will contribute $334,000 to complete the $1 million professorship. This incredible alumni support is just one of the many reasons that makes being a brother of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity so special.
From The Daily Tar Heel, April 25, 2003
Fraternity creates $1 Million Professorship
“It’s a tremendous gift, and the college is extremely excited to have the professorship.”
- James May Jr.
Senior Associate Dean and Executive Director
Arts and Sciences Foundation
“Matthew Mason has been such an integral part of our fraternity that we wanted the professorship to have a dual purpose.”
-Shoff Allison, Phi Delt Class of ‘98
Chairman of Matthew Mason Distinguished Professorship
|The legacy of Phi Delt is exemplified in the number of legacies currently in the fraternity.
Fathers and Sons
(left to right) Johnny and Frank Morisey, Mercer and Jamie Reynolds, Harry and Brick Bryant, Randy and Graham Worth, and Doug and Riley Monroe